Jared B. Griffith wrote:
I resorted to installing it on FreeBSD 6.2 and concentrating on that
rather than working on the test server that I was installing on.
I ended up using the ports versions of nss and nspr since the source
installs of those packages from the Mozilla sites were, well,
difficult at best to install.
I did end up getting svrcore source installed by using the source from
Mozilla. This was easy and went flawlessly as long as you provide all
the configure options as to where nss and nspr (include and lib)
directories are located.
Now I am at the c-sdk package (I am using the one I got out of the
source ldapsdk rpm). I am using that one since the sdk from Mozilla
seemed a bit beyond my source compilation experience (which I am a bit
out of practice since we mainly concentrate on what is available from
the upstream providers - either from Gentoo or FreeBSD, a bit of
company policy). I am using the configure script, and throwing as
many configure options as humanly possible (since I want to make sure
it doesn't overwrite the current ldap header files and libraries).
Configure finishes fine. I then use gmake rather than the normal make
to build the source (since I am sure that it would be looking for gnu
make, and running make just gives me a bunch of errors), it appears to
build, which I am really just guessing on since there are no messages
about either build errors or completion errors. There are some
errors while it is building, but nothing fatal (some normal thread
errors and what not). Since it appears that the gmake finishes
completely, I then run gmake install (again, this finishes as the
gmake does, with no error or completion messages). The problem I am
seeing is that even though it seems like the configure, build, and
install completed, it did not install any of the files into the
directories I specified or anywhere else on the machine. Could I be
missing something? Is it erroring out possibly? Do I need to copy
the built files over to the directories that I want them in?
Of course, not having the ldapsdk package installed means that I
cannot install the fedora-ds.
I am keeping track of what I am doing and would be happy to either
give you a step by step of this or put it on the fedora-ds wiki if I
am able to get this built correctly and running as it does on Gentoo
I would also like to update the Gentoo one, since that one is missing
some important information that needs to be on there to get it running
properly (though the web part of it doesn't run as it does when using
the rpm build, not sure what is missing, but the Management console
and the LDAP parts all work fine without error).
Thanks for all your help and pointers up until this point Rich. It's
Unfortunately, the mozldap package configure doesn't work
autotool configure does - it doesn't honor --prefix, and make install
doesn't work, neither does make DESTDIR=/path install. You have to
install all of the files manually. If you have the srpm, take a look a
the spec file, in the %install section. You'll see just what it does.
We might want to take this discussion off of the fedora-ds list and on
to the dev-tech-ldap(a)lists.mozilla.org list. We also might want to
with this information about building on BSD.