[SSSD] Tool for querying SSSD database

David Bambušek bambusekd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 00:45:29 UTC 2013

Dne 25.2.2013 11:50, Jakub Hrozek napsal(a):
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:11:01AM +0100, David Bambušek wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> my name is David Bambusek, and I am working on an application , that will
>> be used as a tool for querying SSSD database. I am curently a student of
>> FIT VUT Brno and this is topic of my bachelor thesis. It will be a command
>> line application able to query various types of data, that is stored in
>> SSSD database. I made a web page, where I will add information about this
>> application I named sss_query, so far, you can find there information about
>> basic user interface ( www.bambusekd.cz/sss_query.html ).
>>
>> My project is on my Github account
>> https://github.com/bambusekd/SSSD.git
>> there I created branch sss_query, where I work on my application
>>
>> I will be glad for any advice, recommendation or comment to it.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> David Bambusek
> Hi,
>
> I have some questions and comments related to design:
>
> 1) I suggest to read the thread at:
> https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/sssd-devel/2012-February/008712.html
> if you haven't seen it already.
>
> 2) Have you seen samba's wbinfo tool? Maybe in your thesis you could
> compare the two.
>
> 3) The list of objects to operate on is incomplete. You also need to
> work with sudo rules, SSH hosts and I would also strongly suggest
> including domains and subdomains. (for domains, include info like sysdb
> domain version for instance). There should also be a way to perform
> unkeyed search (=all objects of type X).
>
> 4) Is the output always going to include all attributes or were you
> going to have a "human readable" and "raw" output? What about group
> memberships? Are there any plans to merge functionality with the
> sss_groupshow tool ?
>
> 5) There are a couple of tickets in the SSSD trac related to this
> effort. Depending on the scope of your thesis you might want to assign
> them to yourself.
>
> The related tickets are:
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1220
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1221
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1222
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1223
>
> Feel free to also create another ones.
>
> 6) Please also include plans for unit tests in your design and
> implementation.
Hello,
I would like to ask for a little help with tests for my application. I
went through source codes of tests in /src/tests and have been little
bit confused from them. So far, I have always made tests for
applications in bash, where I was testing the application on correct
outputs from given inputs, but as I saw, you use quite different
approach in SSSD. Do I understand correctly, that you make test for
every function that you write? Is there any documentation/tutorial on
how to make tests for code zou write? Or could you push me forward
little bit or give me piece of advice, so I would know how to make tests
for my application?

Thank you very much in advance
David Bambusek