Review Request (realmd)

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 12:51:27 UTC 2013

I would like the team to review the realmd provider I wrote. I tried to
use ReviewBoard to post the review request but I ran into number of
problems since the code is not yet in one of the repos known to the
ReivewBorad instance. Also a diff in the context of new code doesn't
make much sense, there is nothing to diff against and with such a large
body of code diff format would be difficult to read. Instead I'm going
to suggest cloning the below git repo to review the code.

git://fedorapeople.org/~jdennis/realmd-cim.git

In other projects we review prior to import anyway.

Some notes:

* We recognize this is not the best example of CIM modeling, To fully
integrate into the existing CIM schema requires the existence of other
providers which do not exist (i.e. credentials, KDC, etc.). We had a
meeting about this a couple of weeks ago and decided at this juncture it
was best to just expose what realmd provides and not attempt full model
integration. We expect scriptons to hide much of this anyway.

* Two mof's have been proposed. The original LMI_realmd.mof exposed many
of the features of realmd but there was concern about needing to support
this API in the future when things change or whether people really
needed access to the additional functionality. An alternate mof was
proposed with a greatly simplified API that really only exposes a
DomainName property and the JoinDomain & LeaveDomain methods. It was
easy to just add the DomainName property and methods to the existing
LMI_RealmdService class, this is marked in the mof with the comment
"Proof of concept simplfied API starts here". At this early stage this
seemed preferable to needing to produce two different providers, two
different git branches, the potential to lose the source code for the
full functionality if only the simplified version is imported etc.
However, what is exposed via the mof is a question which must be resolved.

* There is a Python client script, doc/examples/realmd-cim which
illustrates potential scripton snippets. It was written in a manner
whereby the main script handles command line arg parsing and CIMOM
connection handling, but then passes off operations to commands which
implement individual actions, each has the same function prototype, a
connection object, the parsed command line options, and any extra
command line arguments.

* There are some files in the repo which exist only for development
purposes, e.g. the scripts under tools/ and a barebones spec file used
only for testing, you can ignore these during review.

John

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?