CIM Provider HOWTO Document

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 21:29:16 UTC 2013

[ Note: some of you may receive a duplicate of this email, sorry.
   This time the PDF is linked to instead of attached. ]

When I started development of the realmd CIM provider I was told I was
being a guinea pig. Take a developer who knows nothing about CIM or
OpenLMI and see what issues a novice might encounter when asked to write
a CIM provider. Then use that experience to write up documentation to
pave the way for other developers to follow.

When I first started a few months ago the material on the OpenLMI wiki
was sparse. I see that it has since been enhanced.

Here is a 24 page PDF. It is what I would have liked to have started
with as a developer.

http://jdennis.fedorapeople.org/cim-provider-howto.pdf

The content is written in pandoc format, a universal format that can be
formatted into HTML, PDF, mediawiki, reStructuredText, and many other
document formats. As such this content can be put up on the web easily.
I'm distributing this initial draft as a PDF because in my opinion the
PDF formatting yields the most readable presentation. The document
contains many clickable links to other material.

Those of you in the OpenLMI group will no doubt have corrections and
suggestions on the technical content which I welcome, I'm sure as a
neophyte I've made some errors along the way. Others may want to add
their own suggestions and comments.

It's been an interesting ride. I hope this serves as a good foundation
to build upon.

John

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>