How to deploy our new jekyll website

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 23:04:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 04:51:34AM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 26/09/2012, at 1:19 AM, Francesco Vollero wrote:
> >   about re-run jekyll and build the files)
> >
> > 2) Create a subdomain called web.aeolusproject.org for github pages
> >   and our mod_proxy will just redirect us there
>
> Hmmm, this one sounds like the best option to me.
>
>  * seems easy to implement. :)
>  * no broken links for the Redmine content.  Everything still works.
>  * Easy to wind back if things don't work right.

+1 to this. However:

> > 3) Create a subdomain called issues.aeolusproject.org for redmine
> >   and have all the issues mapped there and the website on github
> >   (This mean we gonna loose all the link to previous issues)

It would be nifty to also do this at the same time, but set up rewrite
rules to 301 redirect /redmine/* to redmine.aeolusproject.org/$1

That buys us the ability to eventually move Redmine elsewhere without
much disruption.

I'm not sure what to use for the subdomain name. I don't love "issues"
because it sounds negative, like it's just for bugs. (Despite GitHub
using the "Issues" name.) I like "redmine" a little better, but if we
upgraded to ChiliProject or something, the name would be really
confusing. Maybe planning.aeolusproject.org or something? But please
don't let me derail this conversation into naming!

(In the long-term, once everyone had acclimated to having Redmine on a
subdomain, we could then move 'web.' back to 'www.' as would be more
usual. We could just do that through DNS CNAMEs rather than needing to
re-rewrite any rewrite rules.)