RFC: frontend realms, deployments, and instances api

Richard Su rwsu at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 19:36:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

On the wiki we have preliminary versions of the request and responses we
are looking to implement for frontend realms, deployments, and instances
api. I will highlight a few points that may generate some discussions.

1. For frontend realms, when specifying the xml respresentation, users
will map directly to provider realms and providers. On the backend we'll
put each mapping into a backend realm target. But from a user's
perspective they don't need to worry about how things are actually
modelled in the backend.

https://redmine.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Realms_-_Front_End

2. Once created, most deployment fields become read-only. The only two
that can be changed are name and state. For state, we will display an
available_states field indicating the possible transitions from the
current state. Users can PUT the entire xml deployment representation.
Changes to read-only fields will be ignored if it is something trivial
like a create_at, or will result in an error message if say a change was
made to associate with a different pool.

https://redmine.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Deployments

3. Instances is similar to deployments in that only name and state can
be changed on the instance has been created. There is one additional
available_states called reboot. Putting an instance into the reboot
state will queue the reboot. From what I have gathered reboots happens
entirely on the cloud provider. From conductor's perspective the state
doesn't change and stays as running. The history will indicate that a
reboot had been queued at a particular time.

https://redmine.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Instances

- Richard