Winged Monkey

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 17:55:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 04:45:16PM -0400, Hugh Brock wrote:

> The core mission of Conductor is to allow admins to aggregate cloud
> providers into a virtual or "synthetic cloud," to dynamically make
> decisions about what provider will be used to satisfy a given
> requirement in a given situation, and to track multiple users of a
> single (or two, or three) cloud accounts. All the other stuff about
> building and launching and ongoing management is ancillary to that core
> mission. So if you take away the admin section, really, *there is no
> Conductor*.

This is kind of surprising to me. When people ask me what Conductor is,
I usually say something like, "It's a tool for managing deployments
across cloud providers." The building and launching, to me, is the
majority of what we do. The 'About' page on our site describes us as "a
single, consistent set of tools to build and manage organized groups of
virtual machines across clouds."

(Of course, this should all be taken with a grain of salt because it
uses terms like "Aeolus Composer" and "Aeolus Organizer" which don't map
up to anything we actually have.)

Now, Aeolus does allow users to "aggregate" cloud providers, but only
for use within Conductor itself. There's currently no means to interact
with them remotely. Dynamically deciding where to launch is a new
feature, and one that we haven't even made much noise about having.

Am I the only one surprised to see the project described this way?