Winged Monkey

Jaromír Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 15:56:34 UTC 2012

On 26.10.2012 17:38, Angus Thomas wrote:
> On 10/26/2012 04:10 PM, Andy Goldstein wrote:
>> Could you please elaborate on what sort of person is a "non-technical
>> cloud user?"  What sort of VMs do you envision them spinning up?  Is
>> the thinking that someone else (a "technical" user or an admin) will
>> precreate images that provide services for which the end-user does
>> not need to use SSH or have Linux skills?  If so, I'm guessing this
>> would be something like an image that, when started, automatically
>> launches something like Wordpress (or whatever app/site has a good
>> OOTB experience and doesn't require SSH).  If not, then I'm not sure
>> there really is a non-technical cloud user.
>>

> The example that always comes to my mind is an artist at some
> animation studio, working on a blockbusting movie.
>
> They spend all day, being all artistic, in 3Ds Max, Maya, or (better
> yet) Blender, and get to the point where they need to render 5 seconds
> of cinema-quality animation.
>
> So, they fire up Winged Monkey, a couple of clicks in the gorgeous UI,
> and they've launched a mini render farm, which probably comes with its
> own UI.
>

> Another example would by a financial analyst who wants to run Monte
> Carlo simulations, just to check whether her speculations might tip
> the global economy into crisis, like last time.
>
> Same thing - fire up winged monkey, a couple of clicks, and they've
> got a compute cluster.
>

> In both cases, the user isn't technically clueless, but they're not
> focussed on "the cloud" and aren't required to think too much in order
> to get the job done.
>

> For these scenarios to work, you someone else has to have come along
> earlier and created the images, and the application blueprints etc.
> That work isn't in the scope of Winged Monkey itself. Rather, Winged
> Monkey is a consumer of the capabilities of the capabilities that the
> underlying provider presents.
>

> Winged Monkey will work really well, I think, as a consumer of
> Conductor's front-end APIs.

+1

Nice examples, if you don't mind, I will keep one of your examples of
one certain persona. I think I will start writing them down, because we
are talking about personas, asking about them and still circling around,
but we don't have written them anywhere.

-- Jarda

--
Jaromír Coufal

Interaction Designer
Red Hat Czech s.r.o.

Mobile: +420 724 595 508
E-mail: jcoufal at redhat.com
IRC: jcoufal at #cloudforms-ui, #aeolus, #brno