passenger

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 17:00:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:53:34AM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> On 10/19/2012 10:48 AM, Matt Wagner wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 09:20:16AM -0400, Mo Morsi wrote:
> >>Passenger is now in Fedora [1]. If anyone had the cycles, I think it
> >>would be worthwhile to try and get our services running directly under
> >>apache (currently we are proxying connections to thin). Most likely this
> >>will entail some conductor and configure modifications, though some
> >>components (init scripts and such) can be removed in the process.
> >
> >+1 -- one less moving part.
> >
> >I don't recall what it was that kept Katello and Conductor from running
> >on the same host, but I thought it was Apache-related. (But I may be
> >completely wrong.) I wonder if this would help fix that problem?
> >
> >-- Matt
> >
> I think it was rails versions plus a "We just did not test it" type
> of thing.

No, SSL config. We've been on the same rails version for ages. It was
just a pain to mess around with Apache to get it to support two
different ssl vhosts on the same machine. Funzo did actually get it to
work at one point but we deemed it too complex to be supportable.

I would think with Passenger you'd be able to have a single cert,
single-address setup with Katello and Conductor at different rack mount
addresses, but I couldn't tell you if that would really work or not.

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey