Sprint End 11-Oct, Demos and Repo Freeze

Martyn Taylor mtaylor at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 09:09:41 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 03:02 PM, Hugh Brock wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:53:17AM -0400, Mike Orazi wrote:

>>> Hmmm... Have we forgotten about the week we said we were going to give
>>> QE to test the upstream code before the demos? I thought that was a
>>> permanent part of the process now.
>>>
>>> --Hugh
>>>

>> I have to apologize here.  I asked Steve to coordinate and send this
>> notification out so we could close the door on the present sprint
>> and start again.
>>
>> While we have been striving to have QE to be more involved in each
>> upstream sprint priorities dictated that most of the the usual
>> suspects spend their time in other areas this sprint.  As those
>> commitments appear to be wrapping up, I think we'll see a lot more
>> involvement in the next several sprints.
>>
>> Overall though, I think this really does speak to the idea that the
>> quality of the project is a shared responsibility and it is really
>> important that everyone takes a little of the burden on themselves
>> to make sure we maintain working, testable, tested code.
> OK. No problem this time, but: I think it is really, really important
> that in future sprints we maintain the idea of having a freeze well
> before the end of the sprint (5-7 days) to allow for testing by whomever
> is charged with testing. I think this is a key part of having working
> software at the end of the sprint... and if we don't have working
> software at the end of the sprint, then we are doing something wrong.

Having a whole week dedicated to testing at the end of every sprint
doesn't sound very Agile.  Can we work with QA throughout the sprint and
continuously  test?

How about automating as much of the QA process as possible?  This way we
could us something like Travis CI and catch any issues early on in the
sprint?