olf summary

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Mon Oct 1 18:40:48 UTC 2012

How the weekend flew by (and the time prepping for it!). In no
particular order

* Overall great conference, Aeolus demos went perfectly (was cool to
show our tool being used to address some of the problems w/ the cloud
other presenters were talking about), promoted the project extensively
(handing out stickers), and got interesting perspectives

* Perhaps the most notable is that openstack isn't the clear victor in
the cloud wars, there were fans / users of many different
implementations including oVirt. The cloud is so new, and any
implementation specific to one way of doing things, so there is alot of
uncertainty. I feel Aeolus fits perfectly into resolving this

* Citrix sponsored the Build Your Own Cloud day, and said they'd love to
work w/ us to build support for their cloudstack api in our tools. They
are also having a conference in Vegas this november and invite any
contributors / users of our project to attend and/or present.

* The puppet team seemed to be a fan of vagrant / leveraging this more
for the puppet infra: http://vagrantup.com/ (they are going to be
expanding it beyond virtualbox)

* Brought my desktop to act as an external cloud resource (from the
perspective of aeolus on my laptop) during the presentations, but
should've brought a small travel-dolly to carry it with! (nbd, was able
to stash it away in the secure operations room)

* Found out about a relatively new postgres feature that is gaining some
popularity, dblink the ability to link local tables to data in external
databases:
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/44-Using-DbLink-to-access-other-PostgreSQL-Databases-and-Servers.html

* I pointed people to our community resources, and told people that they
could just shout out via the list or irc if there were any questions or
any way we could help them out to use the software. Be sure to be on the
lookout for those and please help out if you can.

There were a couple of other things, will make sure to pass along
anything notable to the relevant parties. Will also share the video of
my talk when it becomes available.

  -Mo