Can we make November 1 the day OpenStack works end-to-end?

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Mon Oct 1 15:50:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 10:22:26AM -0400, Jason Guiditta wrote:

> I'll defer to Ian and Steve here, but I think, bug fixes aside, they
> consider 1.2 done.  If you mean 'will it have an rpm' by that date, I
> have no clue (though you can certainly build the rpm from source if
> you want to abandon a 'working' current version).

Yeah, I was looking for an RPM here, as I'm interested in getting this
working for end users. Though as an aside, the latest RPM is koji is
1.1.1-1, and the latest tag I see on GitHub isn't 1.1.2, which is why I
was surprised to hear that 1.2 was ready. Now, this is very much a
function of my not paying enough attention, but I point it out because I
wouldn't expect potential end-users to have any more information than
this.

> >3.) Implement IME, or if that won't be ready by November 1, update
> >aeolus-image-rubygem to work with Image Factory 1.2.
> >
> Integration here is already planned, and will take (conservatively) 2
> sprints, which puts us at about mid-november.  If you are running from
> source/upstream only, I think you should have something fairly
> workable, but likely not 100% done, by that time.  Upgrading
> aeolus-image as it exists now to work with the new factory (which
> really should be called 2.0, not 1.2, it is so different) would be an
> exercise in futility.  All the iwhd functionality is moved into
> factory proper, and the data structure is different as well, so there
> is no way it would work, sorry.

Oh, hrm. I hadn't realized it was this large of an undertaking. I
honestly haven't been keeping up with IME; I'll have to play around with
it.

> I appreciate your frustration, but the work to make this happen is
> well underway, and arbitrary deadlines, as always, will not make that
> happen any faster.

Blech. I really have to agree here re: arbitrary deadlines. My goal was
to try to ignite a sense of urgency against getting OpenStack support
in, since it's already been an outrageously long time. But if IME isn't
going to be ready, I'm not sure we really have any option but to wait
longer.

I'm going to take your advice and start to tinker with IME and upstream
master Factory. Thanks for this outline of what needs to be done and
where to go from here.