Can we make November 1 the day OpenStack works end-to-end?

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Mon Oct 1 14:26:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 10:22:26AM -0400, Jason Guiditta wrote:
> On 01/10/12 09:45 -0400, Matt Wagner wrote:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I've been thinking some more about OpenStack and the fact that it's
> >still not working end-to-end in Aeolus. A lot of people have done a lot
> >of work to get individual components working, but it's still not all
> >integrated.
> >
> >It's been something we've been trying to do for six months, and one of
> >the few bits of community feedback we've had. The situation is frankly
> >kind of frustrating.
> >
> >So I'd like to propose that we draw an arbitrary line in the sand and
> >say that, one month from today, on November 1 (a Thursday), we will have
> >OpenStack working end-to-end and all requisite components released. Does
> >that seem feasible? To my knowledge, that means that we will need to:
> >
> >1.) See that Deltacloud 1.0.4 is released.
> >2.) See that Image Factory 1.2 is released.
>
> I'll defer to Ian and Steve here, but I think, bug fixes aside, they
> consider 1.2 done.  If you mean 'will it have an rpm' by that date, I
> have no clue (though you can certainly build the rpm from source if
> you want to abandon a 'working' current version).
>
> >3.) Implement IME, or if that won't be ready by November 1, update
> >aeolus-image-rubygem to work with Image Factory 1.2.
> >
> Integration here is already planned, and will take (conservatively) 2
> sprints, which puts us at about mid-november.  If you are running from
> source/upstream only, I think you should have something fairly
> workable, but likely not 100% done, by that time.  Upgrading
> aeolus-image as it exists now to work with the new factory (which
> really should be called 2.0, not 1.2, it is so different) would be an
> exercise in futility.  All the iwhd functionality is moved into
> factory proper, and the data structure is different as well, so there
> is no way it would work, sorry.
>
> >While this feels a little bit like an aggressive schedule, this is
> >something that's already been 6 months in the making. I really think we
> >need to get this wrapped up soon. Does this seem like a workable plan to
> >everyone?
> >
> >-- Matt
>
> I appreciate your frustration, but the work to make this happen is
> well underway, and arbitrary deadlines, as always, will not make that
> happen any faster.  If you wish to help make sure it is a smooth
> transition, I would invite you to build and test both the new version
> of factory[1], as well as IME[2].  Submit issue for IME on github, and
> Martyn or I will do our best to address them asap.  For factory, I am
> not sure what their process is for issues these days - they do use pull
> requests, so I suspect they would see any issue posted to github as
> well. We have a lot of examples on the IME README on how to call the
> api, and the setup uses rvmrc if you choose - otherwise, create your
> own gemset and follow the directions there, I think it shoudl be
> [...]

Thanks for the detailed analysis Jay.

I'll defer to you guys on the date estimates, but I *would* like to have
"working Openstack" coincide with a proper upstream release of
Aeolus. Maybe we could even call it 1.0? Let's start talking about it
now though...

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey