Pushing patches

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri May 18 15:36:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:20:01PM -0400, Jason Guiditta wrote:
> On 16/05/12 11:28 -0400, Matt Wagner wrote:
> >On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:03:17AM -0400, Jason Guiditta wrote:
> >>Hey, list, had a thought on pushing patches.  I have noticed some
> >>people (inconsistently) pushing patches others send after they review
> >>them, and adding a 'signed-off by' to the patch.  I kind of like this,
> >>as it adds a simple way to see who reviewed a patch.

[snip]

> This is where I invoke Hugh.  Reviewing patches is part of everybody's
> job (at least those of us at RH, external community would be
> different), and if people are not seeing that, I am sure a manager
> will contact
> them shortly.  I think 'git am -s', and then 'git push' assuming the
> patch passes review is not a particularly onerous task.  Again, my
> suggestion is meaning reviewer pushes to master only, anything else is
> out of scope.

/me waves ><}}}*> threateningly...

I'm pretty sure everyone understands the importance to the welfare of
the project of taking time to do patch review. It is what separates us
from the closed-source world...

--H

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey