RFC feature planning - robust instance launching

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 14:19:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:25:21AM +0200, Jan Provazník wrote:

> This means that we can't show a user any progress on above tasks and
> he will see only "loading page" cursor until it's finished. If we
> want to make UI not-blocked by above tasks and show users progress on
> them, it means doing this tasks on background. This means using some
> background solution - delayed_job or similar (but not condor please)
> or extending dbomatic significantly. I suggested using some
> background solution for launching instances many times but never got
> positive response.
>
> Taking advantage of the situation: is it a good idea to integrate
> background solution for launching instances at this moment and as a
> part of this scenario?

It seems like we've been dancing around the issue for long enough now.
For better or worse, I've been using this planning sprint as an
opportunity to have a few "Explore whether XYZ is a good solution or
not" type tasks (like with OpenShift and memcached).

For the memcache task, I set up a wiki page[1] where I outlined the
benefit, looked at what our packaging obligations would be, noted some
spots where I thought it would be particularly beneficial, and then
worked on getting a basic proof of concept up and running. I propose
that we might want to do the same for delayed_job or something similar
-- take a couple of hours to outline how it might work, the places it
might be beneficial (you've already done this), how much we'd have to
package/maintain, and then see if you can get a proof of concept up and
running. If it turns to be a complete disaster that balloons in scope,
we'll know early on before we've committed any resources to it, and
otherwise, we can enter the task with a basic understanding of what's
possible. (Actually... Didn't we _use_ delayed_job for a bit
previously? Or is that just my imagination?)

Of course, this is all just MHO.

-- Matt

[1]
https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Adding_Caching_to_Conductor