RFC feature planning - robust instance launching

Angus Thomas athomas at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 10:29:18 UTC 2012

On 03/30/2012 09:25 AM, Jan Provazník wrote:

> This means that we can't show a user any progress on above tasks and
> he will see only "loading page" cursor until it's finished. If we want
> to make UI not-blocked by above tasks and show users progress on them,
> it means doing this tasks on background. This means using some
> background solution - delayed_job or similar (but not condor please)
> or extending dbomatic significantly. I suggested using some background
> solution for launching instances many times but never got positive
> response.
>
> Taking advantage of the situation: is it a good idea to integrate
> background solution for launching instances at this moment and as a
> part of this scenario?

Hi Jan

I think you're right. We should be looking to get a delayed job
mechanism integrated as soon as we can. In addition to this case, there
are others which have come up recently, and which seem to require a
delayed job utility, including:

- Syncing changes from LDAP periodically, which Scott is currently planning.
- Adding support for a single "build and push" operation in the UI

Angus