RFC feature planning - robust instance launching

Angus Thomas athomas at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 12:33:21 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 10:18 PM, Matt Wagner wrote:
>> >  launch progress page (TBD)
>> >  Angus suggested that there could be something like “launch progress
>> >  page” where details of what’s being done w/ deployment would be
>> >  showed. So if the user checks “show me details” checkbox before
>> >  clicking “launch” button, he is redirected to this progress page
>> >  where info which step is being done is displayed:
>> >  "Selecting provider account... account_name"
>> >  “Making launch request for instance... x”
>> >
>> >  This could be probably just displaying of all events associated with
>> >  this deployment.
> I like the idea of just showing an event log, rather than trying to
> implement anything over-the-top for this.

Part of the reason I think we might want the option to see the details
in the UI is that it lets the user get confirmation that something is
actually happening.

There's a danger that, if the user sits and looks an the Conductor UI
for as long as it takes to get a multi-instance deployable launched, and
doesn't get a lot of intermediate feedback they are going to:

- Fear that something has gone wrong
- Blame Conductor for being slow

Whereas, if we give them an optional read-only view of the stages of
selecting a provider, launching and rolling back individual instances
etc., they'll know that something is actually happening, and they're not
waiting for a process which has quietly died, and they'll have a better
sense of where the time is actually being spent.