RFC feature planning - robust instance launching

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 15:16:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 04:55:10PM +0200, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> Hey Matt,
>
> Heat's goal is to take care of orchestration and high availability
> concerns when launching deployments in the cloud.
>
> Essentially, you feed it a CloudFormations or TOSCA template, it will
> figure out the proper order in which to start the instances and make
> sure the services inside them are configured and launched properly.

Ah, interesting. How much does this overlap with what Audrey does?

> It will also take care of monitoring the deployments and keeping them up.

So this much works without Conductor? We would feed Heat a template of
some sort describing the deployment, and it would restart things that
failed?

> We hope to integrate Heat into OpenStack but since it's going to be a
> daemon with a web-accessible API, there's no reason why Aeolus can't
> use it as well.

Does Heat require actually using OpenStack, or is it just an affiliated
project?

Similarly -- are we viewing Heat as something that would be a required
component of Aeolus long-term, or just as an optional add-on?

Note that these questions are all just out of curiosity, really; I don't
mean to imply that I have strong opinions about how any of this fits
together.