Feature discussion: Redmine on OpenShift

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 14:33:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 02:16:42PM +0200, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> Nice one, Matt.
>
> If the domain issue is just temporary, I don't think it's that bad.
> And we can start pestering the OpenShift guys to fix this :-).

Well it's not clear to me how temporary it is. They currently don't
support custom SSL certs, but there's an open feature request on their
site. So it's possible that they'll implement it in a couple of weeks,
or it's possible that they'll never implement it at all. I think that if
we go along with it, we shouldn't expect that it will be fixed by any
particular date.

> And if we have Redmine on OpenShift, we could set the blog up there
> as well. I'm sure there's zillion plus one Ruby blog engines around.
> One of them has to be half-decent, right?

Great minds think alike: http://aeolusblog-mattydubs.rhcloud.com/ (like
the Redmine instance, this is purely a blank site as proof-of-concept).

It's WordPress, not anything Ruby-based, though. But while I'd rather
code in Ruby over PHP any day, I don't really intend to hack on the
blog's source code. I just want a pretty simple blog.

It has the same SSL issues, incidentally, but maybe a bit more
manageable, since there's no reason to use SSL except to log into the
admin section, where it's less of a big deal what the hostname is IMHO.
So we could run this as blog.aeolusproject.org today if we wanted, and
just not use SSL for normal viewing.