Merge / split controller for UI and API?

Petr Blaho pblaho at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 18:16:16 UTC 2012

On Monday, March 26, 2012 11:00:00 AM Scott Seago wrote:
> On 03/26/2012 10:54 AM, Petr Blaho wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am now working on preparing API for Provider and ProviderAccount resources
> > so I want to ask some questions regarding controllers for API.
> >
> > At this moment there are some controllers in API namespace and so there is duplicated functionality between UI and API parts.
> >
> > In the future we will be adding features to API and CLI tool too.
> >
> > I think that we need to decide wheter keep UI and API controllers separated or merge them together.
> >
> > I think that best will be to merge them together.
> > Controller should be as skinny as possible with minimum logic (parameters sanitizing, model call, render results - view or whatever).
> > Controller should respond to html, js, json, xml, etc...
> > All the logic now present in controllers should be moved to models or some other classes which will work with models (delegators, decorators, name it...)
> >
> > Please, write your thoughts and/or experience with this kind of problem.
> >
> Hi Petr,
>
> I agree with your assessment here. In fact, that's how we started the
> initial API code -- the API return just uses the json or xml response of
> the same controller action that uses html or js for regular UI actions.
> I don't know exactly how we ended up taking a different path with images
> (I didn't work on that code), but it needs to be merged back into the
> main controllers.
>
> However -- we'll need to be careful with sequencing and deps, since the
> whole image back-end is being rewritten in another task, so I wouldn't
> want to merge the current image controller code. That should be done
> either as part of the image backend redesign or after it.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,

I do not want to start merging API controllers back to UI ones right now
but I want to know if I should add new API controller for Providers and ProviderAccounts or modify existing UI controllers for these resources.

I want to know what Aeolus community think will be future of API controllers to start my task in the right way.

--

With regards
Petr Blaho