RFC: Component Diagram

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 20:57:09 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I took a small detour from my regularly-scheduled tasks and took a quick
stab at updating the component diagram for our site.

Right now, our wiki includes[1] a diagram that Chris Lalancette put
together quite some time ago. It's helpful in understanding how the
pieces fit together, but quite a lot has changed since then -- for
example, we no longer use Condor or QMF.

My "rough draft" is available here:
http://people.redhat.com/~mawagner/aeolus-components-v0.png

Graphics are obviously not my thing... The original .dia file is
available[2]. It should probably end up in version control, but I wanted
to get to something not-terrible before thinking about where to commit
it.

Three things I struggled with:

a.) Where exactly to place Audrey. I haven't included it yet for fear of
getting it wrong, but it should obviously end up on the diagram. I would
love some feedback on where to place it and how to
accurately-but-succinctly model interactions with it.

b.) How much detail to include. My goal was more to explain how the
components fit together than to model the complete set of interactions,
but I'm not sure where the line is between a high-level overview and
something fully accurate. For example, should I represent that Factory
pushes images to cloud providers itself? What about the use of OAuth
between components? Should I show thin as a server for Conductor? I made
a fair number of arbitrary decisions on how much to show, so please let
me know where I should show more or less detail.

c.) Styling. I threw this together in Dia, and it's probably pretty
apparent that I'm not a designer... I'd rather have something accurate
than something pretty, but I'd also love to have something that isn't
embarrassingly ugly. Is there a better tool, or some trick I need to
learn?

-- Matt

[1]
https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Aeolus_Components