Good visual progress indicator for GSG

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 17:05:50 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 08:42:31AM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Was just pointed towards a nifty "progress indicator" in some recently
> released docs:
>
>   https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#referencelibrary/GettingStarted/RoadMapiOS/Introduction/Introduction.html
>
> (click the ">" forward button, watch the changes in the top graphic)

Truthfully, it's kind of ugly, IMHO. And I agree with Jay that this
particular implementation isn't terribly intuitive.

Smashing Magazine has a (somewhat dated) roundup of other progress
trackers that seem to look better / be more obvious:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/01/15/progress-trackers-in-web-design-examples-and-best-design-practices/

> I'm thinking this kind of approach makes sense for our future "Getting
> Started Guide" docs too.

I think it's a nice touch, although personally I'd prefer to see the
overall documentation expanded first. But that's more of a global thing
than just the Getting Started Guide.