Audrey server -> should be ok on i386?

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 13:16:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:39:58PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Should Audrey's (config) server run ok on i386 hosts?
>
> Thinking that unlike other parts of the Aeolus stack - which we "advertise"
> as 64-bit only - Audrey probably doesn't have to be.
>
> Being able to run on i386 vs just x64 *might* help keep deployment costs
> minimised.
>
> Even though EC2 Micro instances can be either 32 or 64 bit, other cloud
> providers may be different. (no idea personally :>)

I can't think of any good reason it shouldn't run on either -- it's
just a webapp after all.

We explicitly supported it only on 64-bit for product because the virt
platforms we support for product are all 64-bit only with the
exception of ec2 micro. But for upstream I see no reason we shouldn't
build it for both archs. If there's any special reason not to do that,
speak up now...

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey