ACA Side Topic - Proposal: templates.aeolusproject.org

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Fri Jun 8 12:59:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 06:21:41AM -0400, Andrew Fitzsimon wrote:

> >> True, it does come down to the $$$, but if it's in the name of building Aeolus' reputation and enhancing the community, I'd consider it more of an investment than a cost. Plus, this feeds into my next point...

If we just distributed the _templates_, versus built images, I'd expect
the bandwidth costs to be minimal. Download the template, customize to
your liking, and build!

(The other advantage of doing that is that we don't have to worry about
updates -- if your template points to the packages in appropriate repos,
once you build it, you'd have the latest.)

> >> Exactly. I'd like to eventually see cross-overs with other communities/organizations in terms of:
> >>
> >> 1. Linux groups (Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, etc) release basic image template types for Aeolus
> >>
> >> 2. Open source projects release image and deployable templates for their applications. For example, CMS groups release deployables for basic Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, etc installs

Slightly random, but this also makes me think... A ton of templates for
those things already exist in Amazon's marketplace. We could perhaps
link to them to allow import? (But then it's EC2-only.)

Dan, overall, I'm loving this idea! I think it might need a little bit
of thinking on how to make it work technically, but it's an awesome
idea!