The right way to do reference templates?

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 08:23:55 UTC 2012

Hi Chris,

Trying to think of the "right way" to do reference templates,
for inclusion with the upstream releases.

i.e.
  CentOS 6 base, with Apache httpd
  CentOS 6 base, with PostgreSQL server
  CentOS 6 base, with MySQL server
  (etc)

Was initially thinking we could reserve some UUID address
space for them (ie. 00000000-0000-0000-0000-xxxxxxxxxxxx),
and then people could refer to those in any deployments
they create if they want.

But after testing this out a bit, not sure if it's practical.

After updating Oz to use a UUID embedded in a template file...

  https://github.com/justinclift/oz/commit/811b4026a73f619d0a7ab1080afc666cfa12451c
  (also needs the same xml bit added to Conductor template-rng.xml)

... it seems that first attempt targets the wrong level of
abstraction.  Seems pretty much Oz-internal there (~ libvirt
level).

Before I go off and start thinking how to pass that uuid
value from Oz to Imagefactory... figured I ask if there's
a more obvious/better way to approach this whole thing?

Just in case the approach above sounds like it'd lead up
the garden path... ;)

+ Justin

--
Aeolus Community Manager