Explanatory guide text in Conductor?

Jaromír Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 06:41:05 UTC 2012

On 8.8.2012 22:51, Matt Wagner wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 06:35:16AM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Would a visual progress tracker be useful here too?
>>
>> Something like this one:
>>
>>    http://media.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/mrandmrsSmith_pr.gif
>>
>> That's from an article Matt pointed out a few months
>> ago for a similar thing (but for our docs):
>>
>>    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/01/15/progress-trackers-in-web-design-examples-and-best-design-practices/
> I thought about this. I really like the idea, but I'm not sure how it
> would work in practice, because you don't necessarily have to follow a
> prescribed flow.
>
> You _can_ upload a template, build an image, create a deployable, and
> then launch it. But you might just build an image from an existing
> template but not launch it today. Or you might upload a template, build
> an image, and then go off and set up a catalog.
>
> Then again, maybe those workflows need some attention.
>
> -- Matt
I was thinking about this feature as well. It doesn't have to be
necessarily for each process of creating/launching an
image/deployable/... I would like to improve workflows anyway, but what
I was thinking about is this step by step visual approach as kind of
"wizard" - you can follow the steps with the wizard, or you can manage
objects manually. This type of guide would help user to get familiarize
with sequence of steps really fast and easy.

There are two things against - using wizard will not learn user about
navigation in the application - just sequence of steps, because he is
all the time working with wizard which redirects him directly to the
page where he needs to continue.

Another contra is that this wizard will help users as a guide in very
beginnings (or if they need to go through the whole process) but after a
while user would have partly different use-cases - just create image or
more often just launch already prepared deployable. It will be very rear
for user to go through the whole process at one time (I assume). From
this point of view, wizard would not help and would be an unused function.

I would say, let's see, what we can do with workflows and if we manage
to do them simple enough, I think we would not need to have this "wizard".

-- Jarda

--
Jaromír Coufal

Interaction Designer
Red Hat Czech s.r.o.

Mobile: +420 724 595 508
E-mail: jcoufal at redhat.com
IRC: jcoufal at #cloudforms-ui, #aeolus, #brno