#3623 - Notification of non-launches, unauthorized launches

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 16:37:13 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I had a few questions on
https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/issues/3623 and its implementation
task, #3624.

It all makes sense on the surface -- if a launch fails, or a user tries
to launch but doesn't have permission (which is really a subset of
"a launch fails"), we want to record a notification and display it.

But I find that, as I go to implement this, things become hazier.

For one, if you don't have permission to launch a deployable, the button
is disabled. We can have the controller log a notification if it refuses
permission anyway (such as if someone hits the URL directly), but it
doesn't feel like I'm tackling an urgent customer priority there. Am I
overlooking a case where a user would be able to go launch a deployable
but then have it fail with a permissions error after they pressed the
button?

Second, I'm having a hard time even finding a way to intentionally cause
a launch failure. For the most part, if it's something not on the cloud
provider itself, we seem to detect it and disable the Launch button.
Is there any obvious use case I'm overlooking?

For failures that _are_ on the cloud provider, those will already show
up in our "Alerts" section, which lists failed instances.

Am I overlooking some conditions / use cases here? I'm not finding a
whole lot that needs to be done.