RFC: Sprint summary emails

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 15:26:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:43:59AM -0400, Jason Guiditta wrote:

> I am not against this, but not sold on it either.  To me, you should
> just be looking at the roadmap page in redmine[1]. Yes, it could be a
> tad more readable, but that is mostly our own fault for:
>
> 1) Not grouping things correctly (I see a lot of stuff listed as tasks
> there instead of features/scenarios, which is basically what your blog
> post lists).  If we group them right, we can provide a link on the
> main site (or even embed the content in a blog post if you wanted)
> which filtered the list to just show those 2 types (filter is on top
> right of page).
>
> 2) Writing poor descriptions in the title of the task.  They could
> easily be called what you have written in the blog post, but nobody
> seems willing to take the time to do it - it really isnt that hard. I
> am left wondering why we should spend the extra effort summarizing
> instead of just being clear to begin with
>

> However, regardless of these points, your post is nice, I just don't
> see the duplicate work being needed.

This is something I struggled with. I think you're right, and the fact
that I was doing what I was doing indicates that there's room for
improvement on how we word/organize stories and tasks. But at the same
time, it's not really something I see us getting better at overnight.
(Though I'd love it if we did.)

What I'm torn on is whether to keep going with sprint overviews like the
one I posted, or if we should solely focus on making our stories better.
I kind of think we should do both, until the blog/email bits are seen as
sufficiently redundant. But I don't want the existence of a
differently-worded summary to be an excuse for us to not write excellent
stories, either.