Tool to set up development environment / VMs?

Jiří Stránský jstransk at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 14:23:19 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

how do you prepare your development VMs? I've been talking with Mike
yesterday about a possibility of making a tool similar to
aeolus-configure, but for developers. Something to set up development
environment easily. Would anything like this be wanted?

I was thinking something a bit more rake-style with the whole setup
thing decomposed into tasks. You could run a default scenario task with
the whole stack getting set up or just pick something like `rake
firewall:open_for_conductor` or `rake imagefactory:oauth` etc.

Then today I saw Maros's kickstart-based solution [1] and I thought
something similar would be even nicer when doing dev env setup on a VM,
because it also takes care of OS installation.

Mike and Jay also suggested such a tool could be useful for QE, so I
would be pleased to see Dave's and Ronelle's opinions as well.

So I'm looking for ideas/feedback/anything related to this. First,
whether such thing would be wanted at all, and if so, any suggestions
and ideas how should the tool work.

I imagine the tool could be useful to contributors outside of Red Hat,
who don't have Aeolus experts sitting in the same office to ask them
about stuff ;)

Best wishes,

Jirka

[1]: https://github.com/hacxman/spawnvm