[RFE] Build image preview information

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 18:16:15 UTC 2012

On 03/08/2012, at 1:59 AM, Andy Goldstein wrote:
<snip>
> ... then rebuild the image over an over again.  Each build easily took 10 to 15 minutes (granted, the hardware we were using was in a training lab and not server-grade), so productivity was certainly an issue.

If it's useful, two things have sped up image builds with
my setup:

 * Mount /var/lib/imagefactory as a ramdisk, or put it
   on SSD.  Spinning HDD storage seems to be really
   slow for this kind of thing.

   An old (slow) SSD was sitting around unused here,
   so I tried that.  Huge difference.  Image building
   went from ~15 mins down to ~10 mins.

   Image building is now cpu bound instead of I/O
   bound.  (it's also single threaded, so hard to
   make much faster)

 * Turn on Oz JEOS caching (if you haven't already)

   In /etc/oz/oz.cfg, under "[cache]" change "jeos = no"
   to "jeos = yes".

   This tells Oz to cache the base image builds
   (ie Fedora 16 base, prior to any customisation).

   For me, it cuts down the image building time by
   about 25%.  When you turn this on, the next build
   you do won't be any faster.  The ones after that
   though will be.

With the above two things in place, image builds
here taking ~8 mins now.  That's a lot better than
it used to be. ;)

It's also practical to have several images building
at the same time.  With SSD/ramdisk storage, they
don't seem to slow each other down.

Hope that's helpful. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift