[RFE] Build image preview information

Andy Goldstein andy.goldstein at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 11:56:59 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I was working with CloudForms 1.0/Conductor yesterday and ran into an issue that had me banging my head against the desk for a while.  I had an ImageFactory /etc/imagefactory/target_content.xml file configured to point to several repos in Katello.  In Conductor, I provided an image XML file that pointed to some other (different) repos.  When I went to build my image, I kept getting an older version of an RPM installed, and I was *certain* that I had a newer version available.  It turns out that the RPM was available in both a repo from target_content.xml and from a repo in my image XML.  I'm guessing the repos didn't have any priorities set, and yum just picked the first repo in the list that contained my RPM.  Unfortunately for me, it was the older version.  Once I promoted the newer version to the repo specified by target_content.xml, all was good.

So here's my RFE: I think it would be great if there was some way to preview what will happen when you click "build image."  At a minimum, I would like to see a list of all the repos (in order) and a list of all packages (and if possible, their versions) that will be installed.

Thanks for listening :-)
Andy