RFC: Feature Planning - Design the model changes for support of stateful instances

Jan Provazník jprovazn at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 11:59:57 UTC 2012

On 04/18/2012 03:57 PM, Jozef Zigmund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote up current status of instance states, and described a proposal how we
> could implement this feature.
>
> Rather than paste in the entire text, I'm just linking to the wiki
> writeup.
> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Design_the_model_changes_for_support_of_stateful_instances
>
> Any thoughts or improvement ideas are welcomed.
>
> --
> Jozef

Hi Jozef,
I might be completely wrong but from the subject: "Design the model
changes for support of stateful instances" I think that the goal is
slightly different than what you describe on the wiki page. The thing is
that now, when a user stops an instance, there is no way how to start
the instance again later because till now we considered all instances to
be stateless (not re-launchable).

Off the top of my head, to add stateful instances we will have to:
- distinguish between stopped (re-launchable) and terminated state
- update method which compute uptimes
- update deployment/instance launch methods to be able to work with
existing objects (now we always create new instance/deployment)
- allow start action for stopped instances (and probably for whole
deployments?) in UI

Jan