Conductor API versioning

Maros Zatko mzatko at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 12:41:18 UTC 2012

Good news everyone!

we held a meeting, and besides other things we've been discussing API
and it's versions too.

We haven't decided if we're going to support versioned API in the sense that
the client could make a choice what version of API is going to be used
in communication
with Conductor.

My opinion is that we should not support versioned API, but we should
include Conductor
version (and/or API version as well) in API entrypoint at least, so that
the client would know
to which version of API is talking to atm and all API breakage would be
documented.
This might prevent some really old clients talking to Conductor but in
general my thought was
that we will support whole stack of components (including clients) as a
bundle of some version,
and when you update, everything would change at once so that there will
be new client version
in case of API breakage. I don't think that API will change that much
with Conductor
versions (changes in routes can be managed by HATEOAS).

I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

- maros