RFC: OpenStack feature planning

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 19:28:49 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've been remiss in sending this out sooner, but another feature on my
planning plate has been getting OpenStack support into Conductor.

https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Implementing_OpenStack_support
is the feature description page. I won't reproduce it here.

Deltacloud already supports OpenStack, so what's left is:

- Get Image Factory to support building and pushing to OpenStack. It
  sounds like it may be possible to take advantage of OpenStack's
ability to present itself as an Amazon-like interface so we don't
necessarily need to be blocked on this, though I haven't verified this.

- Get Conductor to support OpenStack providers. David Busby sent out a
  patch for this a bit over a week ago, which has been accepted and
pushed to master:
http://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/aeolus-devel/2012-March/009772.html

- See what, if anything, we need to get aeolus-configure doing to set
  this up for new users.

- End-to-end testing along the way.

I'd started to test the end-to-end stuff a week or two ago, but ran into
unrelated obstacles and then got distracted. I would love to come back
and revisit this shortly, though I would also love some help. Perhaps
some folks on the Infra team have an interest in this too?

In any case, please feel free to weigh in on the tasks.