RFC: Moving Redmine to OpenShift (and adding a blog!)

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 11:28:19 UTC 2012

>>> in a
>>> >
>>> I think this is a nice idea/addition to the community, especially as
>>> it supports much the same functionality as our current blogroll plugin
>>> for redmine, but in a way that makes more sense to me, since it is
>>> actually a blog.  If we did this, I propose we add any existing blogs
>>> the blogroll lists, and then retire it.  One less thing to clutter the
>>> RM interface, imo.  I would like to mention another plus of this
>>> direction is that we have the option for developers and other
>>> community members to have their own hosted aeolus blog, while also
>>> providing the flexibility for them to run their own and have it
>>> included (at least that is how I understaood what you told me when we
>>> chatted about this, please correct here if I misunderstood).
>>
>> I would be fine with that, but I don't want "rejigger the
>> blogroll/aggregator" to become a blocker for any of this.
>>

> No, I was actually suggesting we _remove_ the blogroll thing, so I
> dont see how that woudl be a blocker.

The blogroll [1] and static content plugins [2] are rather simple
(patchmine, the patch tracker plugin [3] is more complicated but that
didn't get deployed yet), so I'd be fine w/ updating them myself should
we choose to go that route. That being said, I still believe there is
value in having a blogroll (so that individual developers may publish
aeolus content to their own blog and have it appear on the main website)
in addition to the main Aeolus blog, though it doesn't necessary have to
be linked to from the redmine interface.

>>> * The sending emails thing is another one that appears to need an
>>>   external service based on your wiki page.  Do we want to incur that
>>>   extra cost, since we can do this ourselves now at no cost?  Maybe
>>>   that free one for 200/day is enough for right now, but what about as
>>>   we grow?  On a busy day of you editing this page (which I have set
>>>   as a watch), I can easily get 5-10 emails myself.  It seems like
>>>   this could easily scale to much larger than we may want from a paid
>>>   service.
>>
>> My (possibly flawed) understanding is that you may be able to send
>> emails on your own, but that a whole bunch of people refuse to accept
>> email from major cloud providers, and lots of them end up on anti-spam
>> blacklists, because it's so easy for drive-by spammers. We may be able
>> to deliver mail directly, and we could definitely relay mail through any
>> SMTP server we wanted. There may be existing infrastructure we can take
>> advantage of for this; I was just very reluctant to set up anything on
>> our own, since maintaining our own SMTP server is in no way preferable
>> to managing our own Redmine server.
>

> Ok, then it sounds like this woudl be simply solved by putting up a
> page that says 'whitelist this address if you want to receive email
> notifications from us'?

Eh not sure if this will work. What if a developer is using redmine with
a gmail account, and google blocks all mail coming from openshift? The
developer is going to have to convince google to change their policy.

(just using google/gmail as an example, same applies to any email
provider or ISP that filters email content).

>> I am recommending that we go the OpenShift route.
>>
> Ok, and I am not opposed to that recommendation

Same here. Though the ssl / email situations will need to be figured out.

  -Mo

[1] https://github.com/movitto/redmine_blogroll
[2] https://github.com/movitto/redmine_static
[3] https://github.com/movitto/patchmine