RFC: All provider config to reside in Conductor

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Thu Apr 5 12:11:35 UTC 2012

On 04/02/2012 07:13 PM, Richard Su wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I welcome your comments on this feature.
> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/All_provider_config_to_reside_in_Conductor
>

> This contents of the wiki page is included below.
>
> # Summary
>
> Users should be asked to enter provider credentials and information
> once. Currently users are asked to enter credentials in two places,
> once in config files used by Configure and then again in Conductor
> when creating a provider account.  This can be confusing. We wil move
> all provider creditials and information into a single place and that
> will be Conductor.

Hrm? When a user sets up providers via configure, the configuration is
ultimately written to the conductor database. Configure simply provides
a mechanism which to setup providers and other data at installation time
so that the user does not have to provide this information via the wui
after the system has been setup.

eg for any given provider account the user should only have to provide
the config once, either via aeolus-configure or via the conductor wui.
In what circumstances does the user have to enter credentials multiple
times for a single provider?

> Historically, Configure needed to know the provider credentials in
> order to create private cloud definition files that are later used by
> imagefactory (rhevm.json and vsphere.json). Credentials are no longer
> needed in these private cloud definition files because of oauth. But
> the private cloud definition files are still needed and the additional
> provider parameters entered into Configure will need to be moved to
> Conductor.

Originally we added the provider (and other) config to configure to
allow an admin to completely setup aeolus e2e via configure, without
having to touch the WUI (of course any post-configure configuration is
still allowed as normal).

/me would still like to include this feature as possible, this way QE
and other users requiring an automated mechanism which to configure the
application can use the configure yml files, while others wanting to do
it graphically can still use the conductor wui.

> For RHEV, Configure also does additional validation to check the
> export mount point is correctly specified, and if it is correct,
> mounts it. This will need to be moved into Conductor as part of
> validation checks Conductor performs when creating provider accounts.

+1 to having validation checks in conductor.

> Since all provider information will be moved out of Configure,
> Configure will also stop creating providers in Configure for RHEV and
> vSphere. Users will now create the providers and provider accounts.
> EC2 is unaffected.

As mentioned respectfully -1 to this, /me would like to see everything
that is configurable via the WUI to also be configurable via the
aeolus-configure node yml files if possible and vice-versa.

  -Mo