rhev-m setup verification

Scott Seago sseago at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 16:20:47 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 10:58 AM, Berezovski, Vladimir wrote:

> Can you pls  verify  these steps while configuring  the rhev-m setup
> from
> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/RHEV-M_Setup  ?
>

> *4. Conductor Setup*
>
>  I added rhev account and test  succeeded . Then I   created new
> realm  say example.com  and  using  "add mapping  to realm "  option
> selected my rhev  nfs storage domain . Is that what was required ?
>
> From  the doc it is not clear this statement -  "create a realm and
> map it to a backend realm - you must use backend realm, mapping to
> provider doesn't work for RHEVM."

So for Realm mappings, there are 2 options -- you can map it to a
provider _in general_, or to a specific realm on a provider (which, for
RHEV, would be a cluster). The difference is that with the former,  when
you launch, conductor will attempt to launch the RHEV instance without
specifying a realm (cluster), forcing the Deltacloud API to choose the
default one. This only works if RHEV has been set up with a valid
default cluster.

So this means that what you probably want to do is _not_ map a realm to
your RHEV provider (i.e. don't choose the 'Add mapping to provider'
option). Instead you want to map to the RHEV realm -- this will cause
conductor to attempt to launch your instance into a particular RHEV
cluster. So you'd choose 'Add mapping to realm', and you should see your
RHEV clusters listed in the options -- the option list is in the format
"Providername: Realmname" where provider is the RHEV
provider(datacenter) and realm is the cluster.

>     6. Create a deployable
>
> The doc says  following --" Create an xml descriptor following the
> example below and save it to /var/www/html/deployable.xml. Then add it
> to "Suggested Deployables" in conductor "Administer" tab. The URL for
> the deployable is http://localhost/deployable.xml"
>
> I do not find   this  -  "add  it  to  "Suggested Deployables" in
> conductor "Administer" tab  ..."

This part is a bit out-of-date. You no longer have to copy your
deployable xml into /var/www/html on the server. There are a couple
other steps that are now needed though:
1) create a catalog from the Admin -> Content -> Catalog UI and assign
it to your pool
2) from your new catalog, you create the deployable from the 'New
Catalog Entry' button (this will probably be changed to something like
'Add New Deployable')

The new form lets you upload your xml file rather than having to make it
a web-accessible URL.

Scott