http 401s for all aeolus-cli commands

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 20:07:22 UTC 2011

Hi Quint,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 02:35:31PM -0500, Quint Van Deman wrote:
> Hello--
>
> I've got conductor up and running on a RHEL 6 virtual per the docs.
> Unfortunately, any & all aelus-cli commands return with "Unknown error":
> aeolus-cli build --target ec2 --template /root/f16.xml
> ERROR:   => Unknown Error
>
> In looking into this further, the web error logs show a 401 being thrown:
> 127.0.0.1 - - [13/Dec/2011:14:16:55 -0500] "POST /conductor/api/images.xml
> HTTP/1.1" 401 1
> with no other obvious symptoms in any of the logs (to me anyhow).

If _all_ requests are showing a 401, my guess is that your ~/.aeolus-cli
doesn't contain the proper username and password for Conductor.
aeolus-cli uses HTTP Basic Auth to connect to Conductor at the moment,
and it reads the credentials out of that file and uses them to log into
Conductor.

For some reason the updated documentation that describes this isn't live
on our site, but basically you want to create a ~/.aeolus-cli like this:

:conductor:
  :url: https://localhost/conductor/api
  :username: admin
  :password: password

But obviously replacing the credentials as needed.

We apparently need to clean up error handling when this error occurs.

Hope this helps!